Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Birthday Boy


This past Saturday was Russ' birthday! Luckily, this was the first Saturday in almost a month that Russ didn't have school, so we kept the day fairly low-key because we could. We were able to meet Russ' sister Tiffany for lunch which was really fun. Of course, Russ got to choose the place and it was no surprise that he picked getting sandwiches at Wegmans. For those of you outside of Virginia/Pennsylvania/New York, Wegmans is a grocery store. It's certainly the nicest grocery store I've ever been in, but a grocery store none-the-less, though I will admit their sandwiches are top-notch. Thanks for a fun lunch, Tiffany!

We spent the afternoon lounging around before heading downtown for dinner at Johnny's Half Shell. We both enjoyed the crab cakes (again, no surprise there) and had a great meal overall.


The restaurant is right across the street from the Capitol, so of course we had to snap a few pictures out front.




Monday night we finished off the birthday celebrations by going to a Capitals hockey game. Russ has been a Caps fan since he was a little boy and he has made a fan out of me as well. We regularly watch the Caps on TV and thought it would be fun to see a game in person. It had been a while since he had been to one and it was my first ever NHL game! The Caps are currently the #1 ranked team in the NHL and we were looking forward to experiencing a win in-person. Unfortunately, after a tie, then over-time and a shoot-out, we lost 4-3 to the Dallas Stars. Honestly, it was a little disappointing. It felt a little like going to your first baseball game at Yankee stadium and then watching the Yankees lose to the Nationals. Even with the loss, Russ and I had a great time and hopefully we'll be able to make it to another Caps game sometime soon!




So thanks, Russ, for having a birthday so we could have so much fun this past weekend. And thanks for being such a wonderful husband. You are my constant date, my food taster, my stress reliever, my live and very personalized GPS support. You are my easy-going, sandwich-loving, soccer playing, hockey watching, handsome, funny, loving husband. Basically, you're the best friend I could have ever wished for. I love you!

5 comments:

AmyJune said...

I think hockey is fun to watch-especially when they fight.

Chelsea said...

Wow that's a fun birthday! When I need ideas for Michael I am calling you!

Spencer and Julia said...

Awesome birthday! We've been talking about going to a Caps game, sounds like lots of fun so maybe we should get on that :)

Erika and Darren said...

Happy Birthday Russel! I didn't understand Wegman's either until I walked in and saw the crabcakes. I think I also had the mozzarella and tomato sandwich. Now I'm hungry.

Michelle & Todd said...

Hi Lauren, I was just reading old comments on my blog and came across a comment you left over a year ago! Did I ever respond? I know I think I did, but I can't actually remember if I did. So if I did not, then I'm sorry for being so rude! Anyways, I wanted to tell you that Todd and I are coming out for Tiffany's wedding, so I will finally get to meet some of the family that I haven't met yet! Well I hope everything is going well. I really wasn't trying to be rude and ignore you :) See you next month.
-Michelle